Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Course
Open to the Public
FREE TWO-HOUR INFORMATION/ORIENTATION SESSION:
Tuesday, April 25th from 6 to 8 PM at the Spiritual Center
Sign Up Here: MBSR Information/Orientation Registration
The Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program (MBSR) teaches awareness and acceptance of the present moment experience without judgment. This changed approach to present moment experience and heightened awareness of the mind/body connection transforms how one experiences and responds to the opportunities and inevitable challenges of daily life.
Through the Program, participants learn how to use their innate resources and abilities to respond more effectively to stress, pain, and illness.
Research has shown benefits to include:
- Less stress and anxiety
- Increased productivity in the work setting
- Increased comprehension and retention of information
- Improved interpersonal relationships
- Improved physical and psychological well-being
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn developed the MBSR Program in 1979 and founded the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. The MBSR Program has been featured on NBC Dateline, ABC’s Chronicle, The Boston Globe and CNN and on a 60 Minutes Special on Mindfulness with Anderson Cooper.
This course is being taught by the Lisa Caton, the founder and director of the Center for Mindfulness and Compassion at TCNJ and a qualified MBSR instructor. She has taught numerous modified eight-week MBSR courses at TCNJ. She is under the supervision of a certified MBSR teacher instructor from the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center.
Orientation – Tuesday, April 25th from 6 to 8 PM
Weekly Sessions – Tuesdays from 6 to 8:30 PM, May 2 through June 27 (skipping June 13th)
One-Day Class -Saturday, June 10th from 10 AM to 4PM
Location: The Spiritual Center at TCNJ. Parking permits to be provided.
What to Expect from the Program:
During this course you will be consciously and systematically working through the challenges and demands of everyday life. A safe and supportive environment will be provided to explore and learning through the following activities:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful movement (yoga)
- Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Individually tailored instruction
- Daily home assignments
- Links to guided meditations recordings and other home practice materials
What is Expected of Participants:
- Attendance at Orientation(required for enrollment, no charge)
- Strong commitment to attend all eight weekly classes and one all day class
- Strong commitment to home assignments including meditation for 45-60 minutes each day
Cost: $ 295 for TCNJ affiliated persons
$395 for all others
Deadline for payment is Friday, April 28th unless other arrangements have been made prior to that time. Instructions regarding payment will be provided upon registration for the Information/Orientation Session.
Advanced Registration Required for Information/Orientation Session:
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.