Campus-wide Initiative to Promote Mindfulness and Compassion
The Center for Mindfulness and Compassion Winter/Spring Programs 2019:
1. Making the Most Of Life with Mindfulness Course
Free 9 week non-credit courses
Application Deadline: February 13th
This experiential course includes a variety of meditation practices, reflection, mindful movement, information on science of mindfulness and activities that reduce stress, improve clarity of thinking and memory as well as overall psychological & physical well being.
Participants are expected to do 10-15 minutes of guided meditation and awareness enhancement activities each day. The course includes a half-day (1 – 4 PM) silent retreat (with guidance) on Saturday, April 6th.
Tuesday Classes: February 19 – April 16
Session A: 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Session B: 1:00 – 2:00 PM
Session C: 2:30 – 3:30 PM
The first 1st class provides an overview of what to expect during the course . Final commitment to course expected by 02/25.
For more information and to apply go to MindfulnessSpring2019 or contact Mindfulness@tcnj.edu.
2. Weekly 30-Minute Drop-In Guided Meditation Sessions
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 PM in Spiritual Center
3. The Circle of Compassion Student Group
This Circle gathers on Monday nights for dinner at 7PM in the Spiritual Center. Over dinner the group explores issues related to living a purposeful and meaningful life through the lens of mindfulness and compassion. Dinners are provided. All are welcome!
February Theme: Radical Acceptance
2/4 – Finding Strength in Solitude
2/11 – Unconscious Bias
2/18 – Body Acceptance
2/25 – Acceptance of Thoughts and Emotions
March Theme: Mindful Habits
3/04 – Recognizing Habits Without Judgment
3/11 – Actions to Change Habits Without Judgement
3/18 – Off/Break
3/25 – Creating New Habits in a Healthy Way
April Theme: Mindful Communication
4/01 – Mindful Arguments
4/08 – Mindful Differences
4/15 – Mindful Nonverbal Communication
4/22 – Mindful Movement
4/29 – Picnic
CUSTOM WORKSHOPS AND PRESENTATIONS
The Center offers the following workshops and informational presentations to departments, student organizations, classes and other groups on and off campus. Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Mindfulness and Stress Reductionincludes an overview of mindfulness, a discussion of stress perception and response, how the brain works as it relates to stress, how relaxation techniques differ from mindfulness meditation, the practice of a variety of different meditations, and an overview of some of the many benefits of mindfulness.
- Mindful Communicationincludes an overview of mindfulness, exploring obstacles to healthy communications, discussing behaviors that facilitate constructive listening and conversation and practicing different meditations and exercises to cultivate more mindful communication.
- Self-Compassion and Mindfulnessincludes a brief overview of mindfulness, discussion of compassion and then self-compassion. Participants explore how self-compassion differs from self-esteem and self-care and are introduced to a system for fostering self-compassion. A variety of different compassion based meditations are experienced and discussed.
These workshops can be tailored to meet the particular needs of different groups. For further information on Center programs and resources e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Circle of Compassion Student Group
Center for Mindfulness and Compassion
Lion’s Gate – Facebook – TCNJ Website