Tips for Self-Guided Awareness of Breath Meditation
- Have a regular quiet spot to practice.
- Have a consistent time, if possible.
- Set a predetermined period of time.
- Use a timer.
- Start with 5 – 10 minutes then add time.
- Sit on chair (feet flat on ground) or on pillow (with legs crossed on floor) back straight, shoulders relaxed.
- Sitting in a position that Invites alertness and awareness.
- Take three long deep breaths through your nose and out through your mouth, allowing your mind to settle. Then allow your breath to flow naturally.
- Become attuned to your breath as it goes in and out.
- Be alert to thoughts and sensations.
- Acknowledge thoughts, feelings and sensations and let them go, without judgment.
- Adjust your position if necessary.
- Keep coming back to the breath.
- Notice the breath as it enters and leaves you body.
- Experience the breath from moment to moment, with a sense of curiosity.
- Remember that you can always return to the breath wherever you are and whatever you are doing.